Wednesday, December 26, 2007

three


here's a question. why do people go to church when they admittedly get nothing out of it? catholics are the worst i've seen so far, with baptists a very close second. is it fear of [G]od? is it a sense of self imposed obligation? is it obsessive compulsive behavior? seriously, i'd rather you wash your hands 47 times before you can turn off a light than hit a church service and blankly stare out the stained glass until it's time to go to outback. but you're right, i'm the one going to hell (assuming such a place exists) for reading about vishnu, the tao, and buying the book pictured here. want to know something funny? i bought that book with a gift card received from my kid's mo-ther (she'd run away screaming if i showed her.) maybe i'll re-gift it to my kid when she gets to high school. (she gets nothing out of church either, but she's not yet old enough to bristle about it.) so i guess my point is that if you're atheist and can present an argument, great. if you're episcopal and can viscerally feel why instead of showing up so your kid can go to school, i'm all for it. but at least have a reason.


i turn 38 tomorrow. i'd rather have dinner with a group of clowns.



1 comment:

CB said...

I never in my life liked church, and so when I was about 41, I quit going. It was right after September 11, and I was so disgusted with organized religion that I just sort of dropped out, in a one-woman protest.

I've never really been back since, and I don't feel bad about it.

But I talk to God every day.

(This isn't unusual for Irish Catholics. I will never forswear the Faith in which I was brought up, but I'm not interested in participating, either.)

Ah, well. Happy New Year, my friend.